Vinesh Set for Wrestling Return After Delhi HC Order

Vinesh Phogat has finally received major relief from the Delhi High Court. The star Indian wrestler, whose return to competitive wrestling was blocked due to the Wrestling Federation of India’s new regulations, has now been allowed to participate in the Asian Games qualification trials. A division bench of Justice D.K. Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia ruled in Vinesh’s favour and permitted her to compete in the trials. The court said the wrestler should not suffer because of circumstances beyond her control. “Keeping in mind the principles of sportsmanship and fairness, Vinesh Phogat must be allowed to participate in the trials,” the bench observed. The judges also pointed towards two major reasons behind her absence from competition,  motherhood and the federation’s newly introduced rules. “It is evident that these circumstances were not under her control,” the court added. The High Court strongly backed the wrestler while highlighting her achievements for the country. Vinesh is a gold medallist at both the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games. According to the court, athletes of such stature deserve certain considerations.   “Pregnant athletes cannot enter the wrestling arena during that period. But that cannot become a reason to destroy someone’s career,” the judges remarked. The bench further stated that denying Vinesh an opportunity to compete would send a poor message. “Preventing a legendary wrestler like Vinesh from competing would be unfortunate for the country,” the court said. The court also ordered complete video recording of the trials. Additionally, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports will appoint two neutral observers for the event. They will monitor the entire process and later submit a report before the Delhi High Court. The National Open Ranking competition is scheduled to take place on May 30 and 31 in Gonda, Uttar Pradesh. The tournament will serve as the final qualification event for the Asian Games. Vinesh had planned her comeback through this competition after remaining away from wrestling for nearly 18 months. After becoming a mother, Vinesh publicly expressed her desire to return to the mat. However, she faced difficulties while registering for the competition. According to the wrestler, even repeated communication with the federation failed to resolve the issue. The Wrestling Federation of India defended its decision by referring to anti-doping regulations. According to federation rules, any wrestler returning from retirement must complete a mandatory six-month notice period before participating in domestic tournaments. Based on that regulation, the federation claimed Vinesh could not compete before June 26. However, Vinesh rejected that argument. She stated that she had already informed United World Wrestling (UWW) in June last year regarding her decision to return to wrestling. Therefore, according to her, the formal process for ending retirement had already been completed. Reports also confirmed that Vinesh had already reached Gonda ahead of the competition. Despite that, the federation reportedly remained unhappy with her response. Officials claimed that while Vinesh explained her return procedure, she failed to address allegations related to indiscipline and refusal to undergo a dope test. Speaking to PTI, a federation official said, “Her response cannot be considered complete. Until all allegations are investigated properly, she cannot be allowed to compete.” Following the controversy and uncertainty surrounding her participation, Vinesh approached the Delhi High Court for relief. The court’s decision has now cleared the path for her much-awaited return to competitive wrestling.

“Vaibhav is Fully Fit”: Trevor Penney Defends Rajasthan Royals’ Tactical Use of Sooryavanshi

Vaibhav Sooryavanshi’s sensational rise in IPL 2026 has become one of the biggest stories of the season. The young Rajasthan Royals opener has terrorised bowling attacks across the tournament, smashing 579 runs in just 13 matches and firmly entering the Orange Cap race. His fearless strokeplay, attacking intent, and remarkable consistency have transformed him into Rajasthan’s most dangerous batting weapon. Yet, amid all the applause and headlines, one debate continued to dominate discussions around the youngster. Throughout the season, Rajasthan Royals have used Sooryavanshi purely as an Impact Player. He walks in to open the batting. He changes the momentum of games. And once Rajasthan’s innings ends, he quietly walks off without taking the field during the bowling innings. The decision sparked major conversations across the cricketing world. Former India cricketers Sanjay Manjrekar and Mohammad Kaif openly criticised the move, stating that regularly keeping a young cricketer away from fielding could affect his all-round development and growth as a complete athlete. As criticism continued to grow, several speculations also began circulating around the youngster’s fitness and fielding abilities. Rajasthan Royals assistant coach Trevor Penney has now firmly dismissed all such claims. Penney made it absolutely clear that Sooryavanshi’s absence from the field has nothing to do with injuries, lack of fitness, or weakness in fielding. In fact, the Royals management believes the youngster is a highly capable fielder with excellent athletic qualities. “Vaibhav is an excellent fielder,” Penney said. “He moves brilliantly on the field. He dives well. He takes catches confidently. His anticipation and awareness are very sharp. There is absolutely no concern regarding his fielding abilities.” According to Penney, the move is entirely tactical. Purely strategic. Carefully designed around workload management and maximizing Sooryavanshi’s batting impact at the top of the order. Rajasthan Royals believe the youngster’s biggest responsibility is to attack bowlers aggressively during the powerplay and provide explosive starts. Keeping him mentally relaxed and physically fresh for that role has become an important part of the team’s overall strategy. “He opens the batting for us. Our focus is to keep him fresh and fully prepared for that responsibility,” Penney explained. “The Impact Player rule allows teams to think differently and use situations smartly. Sometimes, depending on conditions and match scenarios, using another specialist fielder gives the team slightly better balance.” Penney further stated that modern T20 cricket has become heavily tactical, where every substitution and every change is made after detailed planning and analysis. Rajasthan Royals, according to him, are simply trying to use the available rules in the smartest and most effective way possible. “There is no hidden story behind this decision,” Penney added. “It is completely based on team requirements and match situations.” And right now, Rajasthan Royals have little reason to reconsider the formula. With 579 runs already this season, Sooryavanshi has become the heartbeat of Rajasthan’s batting lineup. His aggressive starts have repeatedly shifted pressure onto opposition bowlers within the first few overs itself. More importantly, the numbers continue to support the management’s approach and decision-making. As IPL 2026 moves closer towards the playoffs, Rajasthan Royals remain fully committed to protecting their biggest batting asset. The franchise clearly understands the value Sooryavanshi brings to the side. And for now, they appear determined to preserve his energy for the role he has mastered better than almost anyone this season, destroying bowling attacks with fearless aggression.